Photo by Kelly West Mars Photography

Monday, December 13, 2010

The Hoddeok Experience


Shannon & our new favorite ajumma behind her.

As most of you know, Shannon & I went to Osan about two weeks ago and sampled our first hoddeok.  This street vendor treat was just so good, I was determined to make it myself.  And I cannot wait to take this recipe home to the states, to share with my friends & family.

I'm so glad that Shannon & I took the time to stay and witness the art of making hoddeok.  It was such a fun experience!

You start out with a yeast based dough, similar to dough boys.   You then shape the dough into a biscuit sized ball, then open it up, creating a well to add about 1 to 2 tablespoons of the filling.  (Filling: brown sugar, crushed peanuts, cinnamon).

You then bunch the edges back over the well, sealing the sugar mixture in, and make sure it keeps its nice round shape. 

Then on a hot griddle or frying pan (over medium heat), pour in enough vegetable oil to coat the bottom.  Place your hoddeok, seam side down, on the pan long enough to become a golden brown.  Then flip it over and carefully (using a spatula or press), flatten it out like a pancake.  Let it cook until it's golden, then flip it over again and let the other side finish cooking.



Once it's done, place it on some papertowel to soak up the oil and let it cool for a bit.  The sugary center has melted into a liquid and is extremely hot!  (Trust me, I found out the hard way the 1st time I bit into one). 


Cooling after coming off the pan.


It was so delicious, I was about half way through it when
I remembered I needed to take a picture!
The next time I make hoddeok, I am going to attempt to make the dough from scratch using this recipe, and I'll be sure to take more pictures of the entire process (shaping, stuffing, sealing and flattening w/o having a sugar blowout).
And on a sidenote, the link above has a great step-by-step video that is a riot.  I nearly died when I saw the space suit that the woman cooked in. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment